Many minor factors affect your business SEM campaign. Here’re 5 key strategies for successful SEM campaign.
With an understanding of how paid search campaign are run and managed, let us study some of the key strategies and impact factors for running a successful SEM campaigns. While a lot of minor factors can impact the success of an SEM campaign, the major ones include:
5 Strategies for Successful SEM Campaign
1. Keyword Management
Google in their Google AdWords Best practice series has shared the following guidelines for successful keyword management:
- Align keywords with business goals and use different keywords to cover all major kinds of business queries.
- Delete low search volume keywords Which are not going to drive any traffic.
- Use broad match to capture long tail queries; reserve exact match for primary volume and value drivers.
- Don’t create close keyword variations of phrase/exact match keywords as most Of the phrase and exact match types would cover close keyword variations.
- Make negative keyword additions a regular part of account maintenance.
2. Quality Score
According to Google, the three most important components of ad quality are ad relevance, expected CTR, and landing page experience, all three of which should be optimized for best results. Here are a few aspects which, according to Google, are more important and others which are not (while calculating Quality Score).
Some of the more important areas include:
- Investment in growing coverage on relevant search areas where marketer’s ads have the potential to be high quality.
- Relevance of ads and landing pages to user intentions.
- Device targeting and device-specific landing page experience.
Areas which should not be paid over-attention
- Ad structuring (such as campaign names; number of ad groups) as it does not directly impact ad quality and can be restructured for internal use only.
- Targeting different networks like Google Display Network as that will not affect the the expected CTR calculation for Google.com ads.
- Though an ad’s present position on the page impacts user experience, it does not affect ad quality; hence, bidding for higher positions does not help.
Google suggests that right bidding strategies are crucial to gaining prominence in AdWords. Factors which help improve AdWords-automated bidding include:
- Dynamic bids made to user’s context in real time often leads to better results.
- Automate bidding based on the most accurate conversion data available.
- Organizing like-performing keywords into well-defined portfolios gives more transparency and control.
- Test bid strategies with targets that align to historical CPA or ROAS (Return on Advertising Spend)
- To improve automated bids, keep CPA goals, ads, and campaign daily budgets fairly steady.
4. Ad creative
Certain creative best practices help maximize ad relevance and ROI:
- Place keywords back into ad creative, making use of dynamic keyword insertion for a more automated approach.
- Include a few mobile-preferred creative per ad group: to take advantage of the higher experence provided by mobile.
- Prioritize creative optimization efforts, beginning With the highest-volume ad groups to maximum returns.
- Create three—four ad variations in high-volume ad groups and two ad variations in low-volume ad groups: as multiple versions help test and optimize for best performance
- Put automatic optimization settings to ad rotations so that effort behind running multiple trial and error exercises is reduced.
- While testing manually, keep a tab on the time spent controlling lower performance creatives.
5. Ad Extensions
Managing ad extensions could be a very useful exercise to help customers interact with specific interest areas related to the ad in the following ways:
- Managing sitelinks which are links placed under ads to help visitors easily find information on marketers’ site by just clicking single links.
- Location extensions provides physical location details which can attract visitors.
- Call extensions provides a call button which consumers can click for conversions.
- Image extensions helps customers see product and service images.
- Review extensions are extensions on positive press or awards.
- Seller ratings show company ratings with positive user reviews as testament.
- Social annotations reveal the strength of the social community following on Google+ pages.
- Previous visit annotations refer to the number of times a visitor last visited marketer’s site.
- Consumer ratings annotations denote the positive ratings from Google consumer surveys
6. Mobile App Engagement
Since mobile is the most growing platform, increasing user engagements for a mobile app could be highly productive. Key pointers include:
- Tracking user engagement after installation.
- Tailoring specific messages based on different user segments.
- Setting up custom-deep links to direct visitors to specific parts of app for action.
- Re-engage users with both display and search campaigns for higher interaction.
Apart from strategies shared by Google, as above, there are multiple ways to impact Google AdWords parameters, about which search marketers should keep track to make their campaign successful. Follow above 5 strategies for successful SEM campaign and grow your business online.
- 7 Ultimate Websites to Check Google Keyword Ranking
- YouTube SEO: How to Rank Videos on YouTube 2019
- On-Page SEO Techniques To Rank Higher on Google Search
Don’t forget to share this article!