How to increase blog traffic to grow your business online?
Having decided on your niche and gotten your blog up and running, the next most important thing is figuring out how to increase traffic to your blog. A blog without traffic might as well be dead because no traffic means no views and zero conversion rate.
Increasing your blog traffic is very important grow your business online. It takes time and patience to properly boost your CTR and your conversion rate. In this article, you would learn ways to increase traffic to you blog.
12 Tips to Increase Blog Traffic
1. Choose Popular Topics
You should use Google to search for whatever topic you decide to write on and ensure that it’s a highly searched topic. You might worry about your ranking on the search engine after writing on popular topics but this is not a problem as using high ranking less popular keywords and long tail keywords would help boost your visibility and increase the traffic to your blog.
Search for popular topics that have already been written by other bloggers and create better content using those topics. You can also find great topics from question and answer (Q&A) sites like Quora by searching for popular and highly viewed questions in your niche or make use of topic generator tools.
2. Great Headline
When users search the web for content, the first thing they come across is the headline of whatever articles they may want. This makes your headlines highly important as a great and catchy headline captivates users and motivates them to click on the link thereby, increasing the traffic to your blog. If you use a plain, boring headline, your potential visitors are probably going to ignore it and move to the next best thing on the search results latch.
Your headlines should be unique, valuable and catchy and should have an underlying call to action. They should trigger emotion (e.g. joy, excitement, curiosity, etc.) and offer great value to your potential audience. It is very important to include your keywords in you headlines.
Using search engines, you can search for headlines related to your topic and tweak this headlines to create your own unique headline. You should never copy headline. Unique headlines help you rank higher on SERPs. You can also use headline analyzer tools to analyze headlines before using them.
Remember that if your content isn’t great, a good headline would not save your blog.
3. Viral Content
Creating viral content is not an easy feat but it also isn’t so difficult.
Tips to Create Viral Content
- Your article has to have eye catching, curiosity titles and meta descriptions for content to encourage sharing and boost interest.
- Your content must be related, engaging and trending.
- You should write interesting and emotional content, that tell a story, sharing your personal experiences where possible.
- It is very necessary to use as much visual content (e.g. images, infogrphics, videos, etc.) when creating content you want to go viral as visuals increase the engagement of your audience thereby increasing the traffic to your blog and your conversion rate. You can get free images from Pixabay or you can create your own custom images using apps like Canva. Ensure you watermark your visuals as this would bring more traffic to your blog.
- Your article must be well detailed and must provide in depth information about whatever you decide to create content on. Viral contents must be very useful, practical and informative.
- You can curate content from previously published contents, making your site the go-to site as your readers can get all them need without having to search various blogs.
- It is important to research your keywords to find out what would greatly interest your audience and make them come back for more. This would also encourage them to share your post to others via social media, etc. You can also use topic generators to search for great popular topics that could get viral.
- Viral posts require a lot of promotion. You must share your posts on social media platforms, through your email lists, etc. you can also ask your readers to share by using a call to action like; ‘please share’ to encourage your visitors to share your content. Include share buttons to make it easier for visitors to share your posts.
4. Use Quality Images
Images are just as essential in blogging as the writing itself. Most blog posts and articles are a balance of both good written content and great images. Hence, using good quality images in your blog posts is a really great way to drive and increase traffic to your blog. Images on your blog should be highly relevant and related to the content of your blog post
There are various things to consider before picking images for your blog posts.
The Yoast SEO plugin is also great for image search engine optimization as it has several features which help drive traffic from social media sites to your blog. It boosts your visibility on the image search engine, increasing your blog traffic in turn.
Watermarking Your Images
Watermarking your images is like creating a backlink. When you watermark your images, you are basically promoting your site because when other bloggers use this images, they have to give credit to you.
Watermarked images would also generate more audience and increase traffic to your blog.
Using Custom Images
While stock images are a great addition to your blog, they usually lack personality and originality. You should try switching up with custom images to create unique contents and rank higher on image search results. You can get templates from Canva. Ensure your images are high quality as unclear images wouldn’t increase traffic to your blog.
Renaming Your Images
This may not seem like such an important thing to do but renaming you images with your targeted keywords before uploading them would help with SEO and increase your ranking and visibility.
Compressing your images before uploading them as large files slow down your site. Compression doesn’t reduce the quality or true size of your image but only reduces the storage space.
Modifying an ALT Tags
This also known as alt description, alt tags make your images accessible to visually impaired people. They should be simple and a reflection of your keywords as they also help for SEO.
5. Add Infographics
Most people have short attention spans and cannot remain engaged by simply reading through an article. In order to interest your visitors, you should incorporate infographics into your posts as they are not only engaging, they also make information easier to understand.
It is important to use colours in your infographics as this makes them more captivating. You can create your own or find free infographics on the web.
6. Embed Videos
Videos are very captivating content for your blog posts. They are the most successful form of content as they leave users hooked. The best way to add videos to your site is to upload them to Youtube and then embed them in your blog posts as uploading them directly on your blog would slow your loading time and make user experience terrible.
Your videos can be made up of tutorials, interviews, slideshows, etc.
7. Connect With Bloggers
Another great tip to increase traffic to your blog is by building a good relationship with other bloggers. Through these relationships, you can get other bloggers to use backlink leading to your posts, to include you in interviews, etc. All you have to do is play nice, include them in your posts and tag them.
8. Share on Social Media
Sharing your content on social media is a great way to increase traffic to your blog. To properly utilize this method, you have to post engaging content that would encourage your followers to click on the link. You should also post at the right times as this determines the visibility of your posts.
9. Internal and External Linking
Internal linking simply means including links that direct your readers to other related posts on your blog. They are an important tactic in increasing blog traffic.
- Help boost your SEO as Google sees the relationship between the articles on your blog and uses this to improve your ranking signals.
- Help increase your page views and increase the time visitors spend navigating your blog hence, reducing bounce rate.
External linking on the other hand is adding a link that directs your reader to a related post on an external website. It boosts your credibility and enhances relationships with other bloggers.
10. Build Brand on Quora
Quora is a great tool to use to increase high quality traffic for your blog. It is currently the largest free question and answer (Q&A) website yet. As unlikely as it seems, you can use this amazing site to garner and curate great content that will greatly interest your target audience.
Create an Account on Quora
When asked for fields of interest, pick as many relevant topics that are related to your blog as this would give you more questions to answer, more visibility and reach hence, increase your traffic in turn.
You should only answer relevant questions that are related to your blog. You can get these targeted questions by typing similar topics in the search bar. Answer each question properly and effectively, citing sources and making use of visual content like related images and infographics to make your answers more appealing and eye-catching.
Your answers should be informative and well detailed with as much value as possible and not less than 500 words. Make your replies relatable and if possible, tell a story with personal experiences. You should also make use of proper formatting like subheadings, bullets and numberings to properly detail your answers. It is okay to include quotes and social media handles to your answers.
Backlink Your Answers
Once you’ve gotten the hang of answering targeted questions on Quora, you should begin adding backlinks to your replies to send your readers and followers back to your blog. You can do tis either by continuing a line with a hyperlink or using a call to action, directly asking readers to click the link. It is important to note that Quora wouldn’t want to promote answers with so many backlinks so avoid spamming your answers and only use them in the right places.
Use Quora Ads
You can use Quora ad campaign tool to display your brand to users who search for topics related to your niche. You can also laser-target your promotions to target a specific audience, interest, keyword, question or topic.
If you give well detailed and very valuable answers often, you can get featured on the Quora newsletter and this would really promote your views, get more people clicking on your backlinks hence, increasing the traffic to your blog.
11. Generate Backlinks
A backlink is a link that sends a user to your blog from an external website.
How to Get More Backlinks?
- Become a guest writer on other blogs.
- Link your blog to your social media.
- Ask other bloggers or influencers in your niche to include your link in their own posts.
- Interview or mention bloggers or influencers on your blog as they would backlink this posts, asking their own followers to come check it out.
12. Optimize for SEO
With algorithms changing all the time, search engine optimization (SEO) can be really difficult to handle. As confusing as it may seem, you don’t have to be an SEO expert before using the practice to drive more traffic to your blog as there are several free SEO tools, plugins and do-it-yourself tutorials available on the internet.
Search engine optimization is simply using keywords that target your specific content in your blog posts so as to positively affect your Google ranking and increase traffic to your blog.
The most highly recommended free SEO and website optimization tool for your blog (if you are using WordPress) is the Yoast SEO plugin as it is a highly comprehensive tool that has all the necessary features you would need to optimize your articles and blog posts for a particular keyword.
Search Engine Optimization for Blog
- Keywords should be used in the title, meta description, subheadings and in the first 100 words of your articles.
- It is necessary to do a keyword research for your articles instead of randomly guessing as this would help you avoid competitive keywords and keywords that aren’t been searched for in search engines, discover exact keywords used by your target audience when searching for similar content, find competitors, learn from competitors and even curate better content.
- Long tail keywords which are 3 or 4 phrase keywords that target your niche or content are better for search engine optimization as they are low in competition hence, easier to rank for. Low difficulty keywords with low competition and great traffic volume also help to increase your ranking on search engines hence, increasing the traffic to your blog.
- Use compelling titles to increase your click through rate (CTR) as this would help you rank higher and in turn, increase your blog traffic.
You can use free tools like AdWords keyword tool to monitor your keywords, search for the difficulty of keywords and find the best keywords for better SEO.
Ready to Increase Blog Traffic
With these 12 tips, you should be able to increase traffic to your blog like a pro! Remember that implementing this tips takes time and patience so take it easy and you will get maximum results.
If you like this article you might be reading interested in reading my following article:
Don’t forget to share this article!